Check out my honors! (Click on the badges to see other great blogs too)

Friday, February 4, 2011

Cheated

It snowed today. In Texas. The girls will likely not see this happen again for another 15-20 years so we took advantage of the opportunity and let them play in the snow. They had fun for about 10 minutes and then got bored, and I got cold. Inside we went....


We decided to make cupcakes because the girls turned 18 months old today. It was their 1 1/2 year birthday so we decided to celebrate...that was Grandma's great idea. They even got to help make the cupcakes- such big girls!

Of course, the best part was getting to eat the cupcakes! They each got 2...most of it ending up on their laps and the floor, but it sure was fun! And they smelled like icing for the rest of the afternoon!

While they were napping I came across an old picture of Andie and I. It was taken just a few months after we got engaged when we thought we had our whole lives ahead of us, and it made me really sad... it reminded me of how little time we actually had together. I started reminiscing and trying to figure out exactly how long he was part of my life. He kissed me for the first time on April 11, 2001- I remember it like it was yesterday and then I realize he was not even "mine" for a whole decade.

He was part of my life and my good friend since I was 19, but not truly mine for a whole decade and I’m left feeling so cheated. I cry in the shower thinking of how little time we had and absent-mindedly draw a heart in the condensation on the shower door. Almost as quick as I can draw it the water drips and blurs the lines making it almost indistinguishable. I draw it again. As quick as I finish drawing it, it vanishes before my eyes- just like our time together. I'm left feeling like what we had was nothing but a mirage. Something you think you see, but it's not quite tangible, and the closer you get to it the more you wonder if it was real at all. It just seems like he slipped through my fingers...It all went by so fast.


Drawing the heart on the shower door reminds me of the times when one of us would write a little love note in the steam on the mirror while the other was in the shower. And the time years ago when he left dozens of post-it notes around my apartment on which he'd written "I love you". He hid them in places so I was finding them for weeks...my linen closet, the pantry, the junk drawer, the medicine cabinet...they were everywhere. I saved them all for a while, but years later I eventually threw them away thinking that a pile of random post-it notes wasn’t very meaningful after all those years, in comparison to all the other love notes and cards he had given me. I’d give anything for that stack of post-it notes today. For a simple love note in the steam on the mirror when I get out of the shower. For one more tangible thing...just a simple thing to prove that it was all real.


Anyway, it wasn't a horrible day, it wasn't a great day...just one in which I constantly had a feeling that he was missing out on so much. The first time for the girls to see snow. The fun we had making and eating cupcakes to celebrate their "half birthday". The mundane and simple moments shared with the girls, many of which happen every day.


I just feel like I got cheated. More than that, the girls got cheated. He got cheated. Like we weren't told the rules of the game before we agreed to play.
And there is just no way I can make it all right...


5 comments:

  1. You have two life-sized post-it-notes covering your blog page...playing in the snow, eating cupcake batter, hugging and kissing you with lips and arms that are half his. May you feel him, even just a little, through the purity of Addie and Allie's unconditional and innocent love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me tear up. I understand feeling cheated...all three ways. I also didn't realize your girls are only about 3 weeks younger than my son. Hugs to you tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My friend Marty Leavitt gave me your name and blog site. I lost my husband 4 years ago and was left with not only 9 month old identical twin baby girls but also their three older siblings, who were 3, 6 and 9 years old at the time. I blog, speak, write, etc... and just wanted to reach out to you as a woman who has been down that road, girl. As I read some of your posts, I was reminded of writing so many of the same things and feeling the same ways. Just wanted to let you know you I get it. I get it ALL. You are in my thoughts and prayers. My email address is ravellaclan@gmail.com if you would like to email me. Sundays were always the hardest day of the week for me. Just wanted to send some love your way today. Fondly, Ginger Gilbert Ravella

    ReplyDelete