Check out my honors! (Click on the badges to see other great blogs too)

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

It's over...

"It isn’t for the moment you are struck that you need courage, but for the long uphill climb back to sanity and faith and security." - Anne Morrow Lindbergh

After a lot of heartache and much discussion, the new guy and I are over. Our life circumstances were just too much to overcome. He lives close to 300 miles away and it would be a year before he could even entertain the idea of moving. We would have to maintain a difficult long distance relationship that would be very expensive with the amount of travel required to see each other. We both have children who are our first priorities, and leaving his daughter isn’t an option. Uprooting mine right now to move to be with him is also not an option. Not to mention, there is a lot of emotional baggage to deal with on both sides of the table when there is a widow involved. He had his own emotions, thoughts, and feelings regarding my widowhood and where he fit into the equation. And I have mine. Navigating all of this just became too much. The hardest part to accept is that we were really great together. It’s hard for two people who want desperately to be together to call it quits… to let something so wonderful go when you know that if the circumstances were just a little different you could be great together. Luckily the split was amicable with no hard feelings on either side, and we will maintain a friendly relationship. Maybe we’ll be lucky enough to have our paths cross again someday under different circumstances.

Though the relationship was short lived it taught me a lot. It was the push I needed to want to live again and to love again. It taught me that I want to be adored and cherished by someone. I want to be that very special something to someone. It taught me that my heart really is open to receiving joy. I loved being married and I love being in relationships- I crave emotional intimacy with another. I want to be married again. I love the security of being with one person.

It was so nice to be appreciated and admired again. It was great to have someone enjoy my children and be around to help me with them. It was nice to have a shoulder to lean on and an open ear. It was wonderful to have a man make me feel gorgeous and great just the way I am. He motivated and challenged me to be a better person in so many ways. We seemed so perfect for each other; we connected intellectually, spiritually, and emotionally. We had great chemistry- people who saw us together could tell we had a true, genuine affection and love for each other. He is a phenomenal man who set the bar very high. I’m afraid that nobody will be able to measure up and be as patient, mature, and understanding as he was. I have a hard time believing that any other man would be so willing to take on the difficulties of a widow with young twins and do it with the strength he did.

I am saddened that we couldn’t find a way to make it work. My evenings will once again be very lonely with no one to look forward to talking on the phone with. No one to text me during the day just cause they’re thinking about me. The loss of comfort and companionship will reopen some of the wounds of grief that were not yet healed. A risk I knew I was taking when I entered into the relationship…but knowing you could get hurt doesn’t make it hurt any less.

I will always remember this relationship with fondness.
I will always remember him with admiration.
When I started this relationship I was constantly nervous because it all seemed too good to be true.
I just wish I hadn’t been right…

5 comments:

  1. Maybe this was just a little sample of what could be... to show you that you could love again. God Bless You! You have beautiful daughters and I know that the future holds wonderful things for all 3 of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brooke, I'm so sorry it didn't work out. I wish your circumstances were different too. but, you never know, maybe now wasn't the time for you and him, but that doesn't mean never. I won't bore you with my love story, but my boyfriend at the time broke up with me because I was much younger than he was. During that time he started seeing someone else and I thought for sure there was no way we'd be together. Long story short 3 years later we were married. So there's always hope. : ) BTW, the girls are getting so big!
    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry it didn't work out! I know that you will find happiness again. Hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hang in there, Brooke. You are loved by many who pray for you and the girls every day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am proud of you for going out there and giving it a shot. It wasn't easy for me either... but eventually I found Ryan and I am completely happy with him! He is super supportive! That's what you need... someone to just support you. And you will find it. Don't give up :)

    ReplyDelete